 From: David Coulson <da...@davidcoulson.net>
To: Hermes Flying <flyingher...@yahoo.com>
Cc: Baptiste <bed...@gmail.com>; "haproxy@formilux.org" <haproxy@formilux.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:39 PM
Subject: Re: HAproxy and detect split-brain (network failures)

You are mixing two totally different things together.

1) HAProxy will do periodic health checks of backend systems you are
    routing to. Depending if you configure something as 'backup' or 'not
    backup' will determine if/how traffic is routed to it. The backend
    systems do not 'take over'. Haproxy just routes traffic to systems
    based on your configuration. The backend systems don't know/care
    about the other backend nodes, unless your application requires it
    which is a different story and nothing to do with haproxy. HAproxy
    only cares about a single instance of itself - If you have more than
    one haproxy instance, they do NOT communicate anything between each
    other.

2) In terms of keepalived, pacemaker, etc, it makes no difference
    which you use with haproxy - all they do is manage the IP
    address(es) which haproxy is listening on, and perhaps restart
    haproxy if it dies. Their configuration and how you maintain quorum
    in a two-node configuration is a question for one of their mailing
    lists, or just read their documentation. I personally use pacemaker.

On 11/29/12 1:35 PM, Hermes Flying wrote:

Well I don't follow:
>"You can have a pool of primary that it routes across, then backup systems
>that are only used when all primary systems are unavailable."
>When you are saying that "the backup systems that are used when primary
>systems are unavailable", how do they decide to take over? How do they know
>that the other systems are unavailable?
>Are you saying that they depend on third party components like the ones you
>mentioned (Keepalived etc)? In this case, what is the most suitable tool to be
>used along with HAProxy? Is there a reference manual for this somewhere?
>

>From: David Coulson mailto:da...@davidcoulson.net

                  instances, although you can run more than one and
                  manage them via something like pacemaker, keepalived
                  or rgmanager.

>On 11/29/12 1:19 PM, Hermes Flying wrote:
>
>Hi,
>>From a quick look into HAProxy, I see that it is a Primary/backup
>>architecture. So isn't ensuring that both "nodes" don't become primary part
>>of HAProxy's primary/backup "protocol" ?

                          you use to ensure high
>>availability to do that.
>>
>>I could see a way where HAProxy can report one
                          interface failing,
>>maybe this could help you to detect if you're
                          in a split brain

                          Flying <flyingher...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am looking into using HAProxy as our
                          load balancer.
>>> I see that you are using a primary/backup
                          approach. I was wondering how does
>>> HAProxy (if it does) address split-brain
                          situation? Do you have a mechanism
>>> to detect and avoid it? Do you have some
                          standard recommendation to all