 From: Owen MArinas <omari...@woozworld.com>
To: haproxy@formilux.org
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:40 PM
Subject: Re: HAproxy and detect split-brain (network failures)

we have exactly that setup with heartbeat, and 2 floating IPs.
Working in production for 3 years now

Owen

On 29/11/2012 3:26 PM, David Coulson wrote:

>On 11/29/12 3:11 PM, Hermes Flying wrote:
>
>I see now!
>>One last question since you are using Pacemaker. Do you
              recommend it for splitbrain so that I look into that
              direction?

>Any two node cluster has risk of split brain. if you implement
      fencing/STONITH, you are in a better place. If you have a third
      node, that's even better, even if it does not actually run any
      services beyond the cluster software

>I mean when you say that pacemaker restart HAProxy, does it detect network
>failures as well? Or only SW crashes?
>>I assume pacemaker will be aware of both HAProxy1 and
              HAProxy2 in my described deployment

You can have pacemaker ping an IP (gateway for example) and migrate the VIP
based on that. In my config I have haproxy configured as a cloned resource in
pacemaker, so all nodes have the same pacemaker config for haproxy and it keeps
haproxy running on all nodes all of the time.