For those interested, this turned out to be some wierdness in haproxy - one
of the servers was only storing the first 24 (despite being configured for
32, and the other identical binary/config working fine).

The way to debug was the following on both servers for a given cookie
value:

echo show table webservers | socat /var/lib/haproxy/stats - | fgrep
4start_of_session

>From my config, it was also important to store text not binary data in the
table.

-Alex

--
Alex Davies

the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this e-mail permanently.