Hi,

we are running HAProxy 1.5.10 on FreeBSD 9.3 (no packet filter is enabled).
The only purpose of HAProxy in our setup is to fail over to a second
backend if the primary one goes down. We tested this by creating artificial
load via the wrk loadtest tool (settings: --latency -t6 -c300 -d60s) and
taking the primary backend down (by simply shutting down its jail).
In the logs we can see that HAProxy is recognizing the backend failure:

Feb  3 16:20:26 haproxy-tracker-one haproxy[41648]: Proxy KAFKA_BACKEND started.

Feb  3 16:20:54 haproxy-tracker-one haproxy[41649]: Server
KAFKA_BACKEND/KAFKA_PRIMARY is DOWN, reason: Layer4 connection
problem, info: "Connection refused", check duration: 0ms. 0 active and
1 backup servers left. Running on backup. 0 sessions active, 0
requeued, 0 remaining in queue.

However, the status page [http://puu.sh/fslRT/850b363386.png] shows the
KAFKA_SECONDARY backup system still in blue and not in green (Is this how
it is supposed to look?) and the number of Bytes In and Out stay 0.
We can see the traffic reaching the KAFKA_SECONDARY backup system, after
the PRIMARY one turns red, but is this the expected behavior and look of
the status page?

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Tobi

--
*Tobias Feldhaus | Data Engineer*

Wooga GmbH | Saarbrücker Str. 38 | D-10405 Berlin
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin; HRB 117846 B
Registergericht Berlin-Charlottenburg
Geschäftsführung: Jens Begemann, Philipp Möser