On Thursday, May 28, 2015 12:35 PM Lukas Tribus wrote:

> > What about other clients (ie. browsers running on different OS
> > combinations) - especially legacy systems?
>
> If your refer to long EOL'ed system, then they probably don't support DHE at
> all.

Alas EOL'ed systems doesn't hinder its use - even if it unwise..
We've also got customers who I know are paying extortionately large amounts of
money to Microsoft for continued Windows XP support..

> > Will IE7 on Windows XP have problems if I change to a 2048 or even a 4096
> > DH group?
>
> Scannel on Windows XP doesn't support DHE with RSA, therefor IE6/7/8 will
> connect just
> fine (without FS).

I assume you mean Schannel, and yes - I just did a small test on a public low
volume site using a VM based IE7 and SSLLabs SSLTest[1], and can see that both
IE7 and IE8 on Windows XP uses the cipher TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA (the
OpenSSL name is DES-CBC3-SHA) when connecting.

As far as I can see the only client that cannot connect in that test is a Java
1.6 based one - all others are fine (just as you said).

A follow up question:

How much dos the size of my chosen DH group affect clients and the server when
negotiating the connection?
The SSLLabs test did not take any longer using a 4096 bit DH group instead of a
2048bit one.

Could I (at least in theory) make a 8192 bit DH group, and not expect any
performance problems?

Regards,
Jens Dueholm Christensen
Survey IT