Hi Willy,

> Thank you, that was pretty clear and easy. I checked that I was running
> with about 2 kb of entropy before the tests and that I was alone on the
> machine, so I'm confident that what I did wasn't skewed.
>
> I pushed this into 1.6. I'd rather issue -dev2 with it, wait a little bit
> then backport it into 1.5 if we don't get any negative feedback. We might
> have to help distro maintainers prepare some arguments to backport this.

For the record I checked out current nginx [1] and apache [2] sources and
they don't seem to care about this at all. Nginx has a static 1024bit group
in the source (nothing else) and Apache gets 2048bit+ groups from openssl
(as we did previously).

I still think that our approach is suboptimal, mainly because I would
rather not get involved (by introducing a static key) in such advanced
crypto stuff.

A proper solution or proposal should imho come from openssl. They can't
possibly expect application developers to take of such low-level crypto
things. At least a recommendation would be nice (get_rfc2409_prime_1024
is unsafe, don't use it? get_rfc2409_prime_2048 can be considered safe?).

Anyway, it doesn't look like there the is a simple answer to the question
about whats the right thing to do ...

Regards,

Lukas

[1]