> On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 07:06:58PM +0200, Janusz Dziemidowicz wrote:
>> > Hi Milan, hi Janusz,
>> >
>> > thanks to your respective traces, I may have come up with a possible
>> > scenario explaining the CLOSE_WAIT you're facing. Could you please
>> > try the attached patch ?
>>
>> Unfortunately there is no change for me. CLOSE_WAIT sockets still
>> accumulate if I switch native h2 on. Milan should probably double
>> check this though.
>> https://pasteboard.co/HpJj72H.png
>
> :-(
>
> With still the same perfectly straight line really making me think of either
> a periodic activity which I'm unable to guess nor model, or something related
> to our timeouts.

It is not exactly straight. While it looks like this for short test,
when I did this earlier, for much longer period of time, it was
slowing down during night, when I have less traffic.

>> I'll try move some low traffic site to a separate instance tomorrow,
>> maybe I'll be able to capture some traffic too.
>
> Unfortunately with H2 that will not help much, there's the TLS layer
> under it that makes it a real pain. TLS is designed to avoid observability
> and it does it well :-/
>
> I've suspected a received shutdown at the TLS layer, which I was not
> able to model at all. Tools are missing at this point. I even tried
> to pass the traffic through haproxy in TCP mode to help but I couldn't
> reproduce the problem.

When I disable native h2 in haproxy I switch back to tcp mode going
though nghttpx. The traffic is obviously the same, yet there is no
problem.

> It could possibly help if you can look for the affected client's IP:port
> in your logs to see if they are perfectly normal or if you notice they
> have something in common (eg: always the exact same requests, or they
> never made a request from the affected connections, etc).

I'm aware of the problems :) However, if I can get some traffic dumps,
knowing my application I might be able to reproduce this, which would
be a huge win. I've already tried some experiments with various tools
with no luck unfortunately.

> I won't merge the current patch for now. At minima it's incomplete,
> and there is always a risk that it breaks something else in such a
> difficult to detect way.

Sure, no problem :)

--
Janusz Dziemidowicz