On 10/28/21 12:31 AM, Lukas Tribus wrote:
You want evidence.

That would be preferred, yes.

Then get a raspberry pi, and run haproxy manually, fake the cpu flag aes-ni and it should crash when using aes acceleration, because the cpu doesn't support it.

https://romanrm.net/force-enable-openssl-aes-ni-usage <https://romanrm.net/force-enable-openssl-aes-ni-usage>

That page seemed to indicate that if openssl detects the CPU flag, it will use it, at least with Tor, the software being used by the author of the article.

Does haproxy's use of openssl turn on the same option that the commandline does with the -evp argument?  If it does, then I think everything is probably OK.

Something interesting to note:  In the 3.0.1-dev version, the test I started with (running without -evp and then again with -evp) doesn't show a speed difference.  So whatever -evp does is on by default in the latest openssl.  I'm very interested in seeing openssl 3 support in haproxy.

Thanks,
Shawn