On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 at 21:20, Shawn Heisey <hapr...@elyograg.org> wrote:

> On 10/28/21 10:02 AM, Lukas Tribus wrote:
> > You seem to be trying very hard to find a problem where there is none.
> >
> > Definitely do NOT overwrite CPU flags in production. This is to *test*
> > AES acceleration, I put the link to the blog post in there for
> > context, not because I think you need to force this on.
>
> I wouldn't call this production.  It's the server in my basement. It
> runs most of my personal websites.  I do my experimentation there.  I'm
> OK with those experiments causing the occasional problem, because for
> the most part I know how to fix it if I make a mistake.

I get it. Despite this, I don't want you to make matters worse. Also
other people may read this thread and try the same.

> I did just think of a way that I MIGHT be able to test. Time a simple
> shell script using wget to hit a tiny static web page using https 10000
> times.  For that test, the run with haproxy started normally actually
> took longer:

No, that's not the way to test AES-NI. AES-NI doesn't help TLS
handshakes at all. Testing many handshakes and downloads with small
files is exactly the case where AES-NI won't improve anything.

You would have to run a single request causing a large download, and
run haproxy through a cpu profiler, like perf, and compare outputs.

Make sure you run wget that with -O /dev/null and run it on a
different box, so it won't steal CPU from haproxy. Also make sure an
AES cipher is actually negotiated.

Lukas