On Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 03:48:56PM -0600, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> The LE fullchain file does not contain the key.  It contains 3
> certificates. ... the server cert, the issuing cert, and the root cert
> ... which is not what you want.  For letsencrypt, the file that you give
> to haproxy must contain the server cert, the issuing cert, and the
> private key.

Actually you can separate the key from the chain with haproxy, but
without the configuration it's difficult to know what it's trying to
load.

http://docs.haproxy.org/2.8/configuration.html#ssl-load-extra-files

With the 'key' option it's able to load a 'file.pem.key' if you
specified 'crt file.pem' in your configuration

> You do not want to include the root certificate.  It will be ignored
> by the browser even if it is included, but it will probably slow down
> TLS negotiation by a small amount.  The presence of the root
> certificate in the TLS handshake should not actually break anything in
> most cases, but it could result in a lower score on the Qualys Labs
> SSL test.

You can also ask haproxy to ignore the root CA in the configuration:

http://docs.haproxy.org/2.8/configuration.html#ssl-skip-self-issued-ca

> When my renewal script finishes, I have a file containing four things:
> The server cert, the issuing cert, the private key, and a unique 4096
> bit DHPARAM.  This combination is ideal for haproxy.
>
> The version of certbot that I am using generates 256-bit ECDSA keys by
> default.  You might be thinking that a 256 bit ECDSA key cannot be as
> secure as a 2048 bit RSA key, but that is incorrect:
>
> https://www.baeldung.com/cs/encryption-asymmetric-algorithms#3-key-length
>
> Some of the equipment I use will not work with ECDSA keys, so I have a
> second cert with a subset of names that I build using 4096 bit RSA.

There is a lot of possibility to configure this, we are trying to move
forward to a configuration where we can specifiy files separately so
there would be nothing to do in the future, but unfortunately there is
still development to do.

--
William Lallemand