On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Tamas TEVESZ wrote:

Hi,

> the symptom is that when there is already data in the primary when
> this app is started, the first inkey(0) is immediately satisfied (and
> then it shows the correct content for the primary selection).
>
> this doesn't happen absolutely always, but it does most of the time.
> if the primary is empty at app startup, then it never happens.

I cannot replicate it but I guess what can be source of such behavior
and it's not related to selection code.
If you replace in your code 'InKey(0)' with '?? InKey(0)' then we
can see the keycode returned in such case. I think it's 1101 (K_RESIZE)
which can be generated on some slower system if ConfigureNotify is
delivered during initial window creating. It's nothing wrong but
of course I'll clean it.

> another artifact is that upon exit (i start it from an xterm), it
> leaves some garbage someplace, which which causes my xterm to
> disappear if i press middle button. it's nothing that i could catch
> with careful use of xxd waiting for some binary junk, what's more, at
> one occasion this even killed my windowmaker (ok, it's not the
> stablest wm in the world, but for a couple of month, since
> outstandings have been fixed, i've been having much less problems with
> it than i used to).
> even worse, this doesn't seem to be tied to middle button events. i
> have had it by middle button, up arrow in shell, ^C in a shell line i
> decided not to execute...
> so the guess it that *something* is there that causes clients to exit
> unexpectedly. it is not even sure that the client that exits is the
> one that has the focus (i was just at this moment playing with other
> xterms when this one that runs my mua decided it's been long since i
> last saw my desktop background...)

Your VM crashes when selection owner does not response. I'll add code
to disable own selection in GTXWC exit phase and I hope it will help
anyhow real fix should be done in WM code because your description
suggests that it may have very serious problems and even crash if
selection owner terminates suddenly without clearing the selection
i.e. due to delivered asynchronous signal (killall myapp).

I'll commit these modifications in a while.
Please test if they resolve all your problems. I cannot replicate
any of them in my local machine.