Hi

Got hold of message after long, so the context is also old, but...

Viktor Szakáts wrote:

>>> - I'd personally use much much less (or rather no) gradient   effects as
>>> backgrounds. It just slows down things (f.e. when   working remote, or
>>> VM) and it just distracting after the initial   impact.
>>
>> I've tried to compile and run hbide.exe a few times, but it is not a
>> useful tool for me (yet). The most important things I expect is
>> comfortable source editor with column mark blocks, multi-file search and
>> replace, block copy and move operations between opened source files.
>> shortcuts for editing commands. All other things like themes, background
>> gradients are totally not important for me, and I would like to switch it
>> off in my setup.
>
> You pretty much summed up my needs as well.

For me too.

As we all know hbIDE is only 1 month 19 days old PLUS
the whole learning curve to exploit Qt PLUS the memory ploblems
of hbQT, I feel hbIDE is at a pretty good grounds.

It is a general programming fact that a developer tends to
drift with fascinations and knowledge points and I, with hbIDE, is
not an exception. Sometimes you start some feature but end up
implementing altogether different, because, in the process of
implemention of planned feature you learned entirely new which in turn
get implemented out of sheer curisity and fascination.

Block copy/paste is a real challenge and Qt does not provide for
any built-in functionality. So it is taking a time. As far as editing and
building
a project, hbIDE has got some grounds.

>> I know hbide is at very alpha stage and I do not want to say, that themes
>> are not important for a good product, but it is not that we need to begin
>> using the application.
>
> We can certainly discuss priorities (even HBQT is
> far from stable yet), but eventually some sort of
> "theming" or color setup is inevitable I guess.
> I'd only be happier if the default would be more
> clean cut MSVS/Eclipse/NetBeans-like, and not overly
> colored. I think this would be give a more
> familiar and more professional look to it. Easy
> to change anytime though.
>
> I'm mostly concerned about general stability, speed,
> and the features you mentioned.

Colors are OK and it is a mtter of half an hour for someone
to supply me the values and I will be more than happy to
include them in sources. Anybody with MSVS/Eclispse, etc
IDE's color schemes?

Today I implemented speed optimization, it is worth watching.
Another point is the speed of syntax highlighting the first time
text is pushed into editor where Qt tends to format the whole
document at once. To me it sounds bug. It should been like
highlighting the viewport full of lines. But I have an idea how
to control. Once I get hold of it, speed issue will be resolved
for ever.

For rest of the features it is just a matter of time which I have
in plenty at this moment.

Regards
Pritpal Bedi