George,

I don't know much about CVS systems, but aren't they
designed for what you are describing.  And doesn't
sourceforge have this built-in?

I agree that VA code is likely parked by the inertia
of that massive organization.  Anytime we start
talking about modifying the code, we are talking about
divergance.  I think it may well be worth it, in the
name of progress.

Who can step forward and get this arranged?

Kevin