Minor addition:  While VA FileMan generally assigns canonical numbers, one
can through the database calls create entries that have any positive
rational number permitted by the local computer system being used.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Richard
G. DAVIS
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 1:07 PM
To: hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Hardhats-members] How many Secondary Menus can be assigned?

The answer, once and for ever more, if the set of items being considered are
a set of VA File Manager 'entries'--or in other words VA FM tables (files)
then the list if entries is indefinitely long.

VA FM uses an internal global method known as "double subscripting" to
designate where a 'table' entry is located.  It is this 'excess' of using
two subscripts rather that a single subscript that give VA FM files their
indefinitely long list length.  This second subscript, also referred to as
the Internal Entry Number (IEN), has values drawn from the universe of all
positive canonical numbers, e.g., 1, 2, 3, 4.... up to the largest such
number permitted by the local computer system being used.

I believe secondary menus are managed as entries in a VA FM file, hence may
be indefinite in number.

Regards,

Richard.