On 7/27/05, Todd Berman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 13:31 -0400, Nancy Anthracite wrote:
> The Crossover office folks would fix it to run on Wine were they to get the
> funding.  That was the plan, it just never got that far.  They are eager to
> work with us again if things work out and I hope they do as we had a great
> time working together.

But that doesn't answer the real issue. Is a version of CPRS limping
along under Crossover Office/WINE something you could stand in front of
a CIO of a hospital, look him in the eye, and in good faith offer as a
viable option for a desktop Linux deployment? It isn't for me.

I've only seen ONE Desktop Linux deployment which worked out.  That was in a very tightly controlled vertical application environment for reserving and dispatching limos.

Now, if there was a WEB based VistA client, running that under a browser under linux would likely be productive.  Maybe thunking through a J2EE app server?

But now we're adding needless levels of complexity.

We're pretty much stuck with CPRS, and it's target client is Windows.

And that's ok,  there are some psychological issues involved in getting people who *think* they're technologically adept to move to a better platform too.  Winders is where they're comfy.  Don't fight 'em.  Y'all can't win, and EVERY LITTLE THING which goes wrong, will be YOUR fault.

Ok, So that's going to be the way it shakes out anyway, but it's a whole extra raft of problems y'all don't need.

Pay the Microsoft Tax through your system builder when you get them, and consider client machines the disposable toys the are.

I wonder how the VistA-Office thing is going to affect that?  If it'll be compatible with Linux deployed GT.M server on the back end?  Do we care?

Take Care,

Mike