From: "Holloway, Thomas (EDS)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 4:45 PM
Subject: RE: [Hardhats-members] MUMPS features

Maybe it's a case of reductio ad absurdum but if I have a long
arithmetic list like:

5+9+33+87-92+28+77*4-15-61+88+342

why in the world would I go into the middle to multiply 4*77 before
starting on the rest of the math?  That makes no sense at all.
Multiplication trumps addition?  Are we playing bridge here?  And yes,
having studied other languages I'm aware of their weird operator
precedence and, much like Jim, can't remember which does what.  Left to
right, what could be simpler?  Just like reading.  Can you imagine
reading a line of code where For and Do took precedence over If and
Write?  I vote left-to-right (as if this were a decision that had to be
made.)

Thom H.