Oops. that didn't wor'k. I'm using a web interface and the 94's were
translated to "^". I wa wrong on two counts: the encoding is decimal,
not hexadecimal, and the encoding used is the standard one for numeric
entities in XML/HTML (meaning, BTW, that the name of the call is less
of a misnomer than I thought. What I was expecting is the familiar URL
encoding where the space (decimal 32, hexadecimal 20) becomes %20 and
so forth.