I'm not sure about MicroFocus Cobol (which is a PC Cobol, as I recall)
but I recall that on the mainframes (IBM 360/370 range)
Cobol did NOT provide its own database layer.

It is probably something like VSAM or ISAM, or possibly SQL.

A web search yielded:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q103/2/26.asp&NoWebContent=1

Apparently there is also a Microsoft Cobol.

There is also mention at
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/u2/middleware/

Cobol Direct Connect
COBOL Direct Connect (CDC) supports quick and safe redeployment of
COBOL-indexed files into SQL-compliant RDBMS tables without data structure
modification, source code changes, "dynamic SQL" or other migration efforts.
CDC utilizes legacy applications including underlying file systems, access
to GUI interfaces, and desktop DSS/4GL interoperability. In addition, new
applications can be developed using Java and other modern languages that can
access the COBOL data.

COBOL Direct Connect provides:

    * Direct redeployment of ISAM (or other) data structures into UniData's
nested RDBMS which provides applications with SQL data access and permits
the usage of more modern tools for reporting and BI/OLAP analysis.
    * Preservation of your existing COBOL applications and data structures
so you maintain just one set of source code.
    * Expanded functionality with a low cost of ownership.

COBOL Direct Connect maps COBOL ISAM files into the IBM UniData extended
relational database. It works with most versions of AcuCobol (from AcuCorp)
and MicroFocus COBOL (from Merant/MicroFocus).