"Programmer mode" is basically a VistA concept. Ordinary users never see the direct mode prompt, but sign in through ^ZU which takes them directly to Menu Manager. Programmers that sign in this way (as opposed to using direct mode to start with) need a way to "escape" from Menu Manager and get to the programmer prompt. I think what Greg had in mind is that executing a BREAK would interrupt the running program and drop you down to the programmer (direct mode) prompt.

I suspect that a lot of people on this list are accustomed to entering GT.M or Cache directly and then signing in via ^XUP, but in a production environment, you want users to sign in through ^ZU and stay with Menu Manager until they finally log out. For CPRS this isn't an issue because no one ever signs in interactively, everything is mediated by the RPC Broker, but in "roll and scroll" mode, users do interact directly with the system, and it's very important that an unprivileged user not be able to get to the programmer prompt.

===
Gregory Woodhouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Before one gets the right answer, one must ask the right question." -- S. Barry Cooper