--- Kevin Toppenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Greg, I'm not following you.  If we go with Google groups, I believe
> you can still use your email interface--so no worries there.  But
> when
> I use Gmail, I don't have to bounce around or open up new windows.
> It
> opens up a window right where I am reading when I want to reply.
>
> Kevin

I was referring to the proposal that we wait for a Plone based Forum.
maybe these type of interfaces are "cool" right now (maybe because they
resemble blogs), but I don't find them at all user friendly. We
recently had several forums set up on our intranet to discuss
accessibility and other issues, and I don't like them at all.

I'd be surprised if your e-mail client doesn't offer you the
opportunity to change its settings to something more in line with your
preferences. At any rate, what I don't want to have to do is set one
bookmark for Hardhats, one for OpenHealth and so on, and then
periodically go out and check to see if there's anything new. I
realized that you can usually arrange to receive e-mail notifications
when people reply to selected messages, but then what's the point? It
still disturbs your flow, and you have to through several steps just to
read the message, much less reply to it.

Perhaps part of the problem is that I subscribe to several developer
lists, and if messages go to my e-mail, I have centralized access, and
I don't have to learn a new interfaced for each. It might be one thing
if you only cared about Hardhats, but I'm also interested in OS X
development, user interfaces, functional programming, health
information systems, and (gasp!) maybe a few projects other than VistA.
(As you might expect, they don't all receive equal amounts of
attention, I just don't have the time, but they're all important.)

===
Gregory Woodhouse  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Metaphors be with you.