Kevin --

I don't know much about CentOS (Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone) and
compatibility with Red Hat 9.  I suspect that an upgrade is probably
safe, but back everything up first just in case, and remember the old
Russian proverb - trust but verify.

In any case, staying with RH9 is not an option - never use an OS
version/release once it is no longer supported because of the danger of
unremedied vulnerabilities.

I am traveling and don't have the time to give more useful advice.  Sorry.

Regards
-- Bhaskar