Will Yonker wrote:

>Upgrades are difficult when you stay within the same distro.  Switching
>distros and trying to do an upgrade is something I would only suggest to a
>guru who has many many hours to waste.

I don't know about the RH9 to centos move. But Debian and ubuntu
upgrades are almost trivial and best not done with a fresh install. You
just do an apt-get update, then apt-get dist-upgrade. Or if you are
using the synaptic GUI, it's all point and click I think. The catch is
that you need to keep your specially compiled stuff installed with care,
preferabty under home or /usr/local/bin/ to allow you to upgrade with ease.

>Figure out what systems are critical and back them up.  Then do a fresh
>install and restore your apps.  Fight the upgrade battle from that front.
>It has been the most sane approach for me.

Yup, this is the principle behind migrating from one distro to another
the easiest - but there may be the odd gotcha that you'll have to ask a
guru about.

PJ