What is better for the future of OSS - having a program that is easy
to use and popular that has a few flaws, or something that is flawless
and rigorous but only the geeks know about and use?

I would argue that you need both.  Just because a few of us geeks have
some issues with it, in reality most common users don't notice them
and don't care.  They simply want something that is fast, easy to use,
and doesn't serve lots of popups and corrupt their system.  That's it.
 They don't care about creating unique secure processes or memory
usage or some obscure flaw in the security model.  In a perfect world
they would care about all those issues like us geeks.

I am happy with simply having so many people going out and downloading
and installing it in defiance of IE and the rest of the establishment
failing to do any thing about popups, browser hijacks, or security
issues.  That is a very good first step.

We all understand that Firefox is not perfect and has its flaws.  And
yes, as it becomes more popular it will probably come under more and
more attacks.  But the fact is that it is probably the most popular
OSS product out there and the public loves it.  I think that far
outweighs the few flaws it has.
--
Brian