-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of nobozoz
Sent: 11 June 2005 21:18
To: The Hardware List
Subject: RE: [H] Crashing Cruzer Mini

Well, guess what.

I was able to pull most of the important stuff off the Cruzer by repeatedly
mounting the drive in WINXP and copying one root-based folder at a time.
About 20 of the 34 or so root folders managed to make it to the HDD intact,
the rest were lost because they couldn't be read at all - even partially.

Then, I reformatted the Cruzer as a FAT and ran CHKDSK on it and saved a few
Folders to it - now it appears to be just like new. There was no loss of
total capacity after the format either, so CHKDSK didn't find any bad
sectors AFAIKT.

I'm beginning to think this problem was due to WINXP aborting the write of a
6 MB PDF somewhere in the middle - that's what I was doing when all the
trouble started, but I didn't get any warnings from XP that there was a
specific problem with the Cruzer other than that the file-save was aborted.

I wonder if I can continue to trust this drive now or not.

I don't feel that lucky.

_jim