----- Original Message ----- From: "Wayne Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Hardware List" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 10:16 PM
Subject: Re: Re: [H] Gas prices

There was a James Bond movie where they put some drug into gasoline then distilled the gasoline once it arrived at it's final destination. I wonder if that added horsepower but I would be afraid to put anything in gasoline these days for fear of running the liquid gold. ;-)

People in warmer climates may have to take a closer look at converting gasoline engines to propane engines. I do not know how propane would act in zero degrees F. One of my former jobs was hauling propane, 9500 gallons per load on an 18 wheeler tanker truck. The internal pressure of the tank was close to double the air temperature outside of the tank. Examples: If it was 30 degrees F on the outside the internal pressure was 60 pounds per square inch. If it was 90 degrees F on the outside the internal pressure was 180 pounds per square inch. This may be one reason that propane is not a popular fuel for heating or transportation in cold climates. The price of propane vs. fuel oil may be the main reason that propane is not used in colder climates. In our South Georgia area propane is popular for home heating, water heating and cooking fuel. Propane was more economical than electricity a few decades ago. Now electricity is more of a bargain since propane prices rise along with the price of gasoline and diesel fuel. A total electric home may be economical here in a warmer climate but more expensive than fuel oil in a colder climate. Although high, the price of electricity is more stable than the price of liquid fuels. Our average here in Albany, GA is around 8.5 cents per kilowatt hour during the 4 months we are on a Summer rate and lower the other 8 months. It did not jump 25% like gasoline did or it would be over 10.5 cents per kilowatt hour now. We use over 3000 kilowatt hours per month in the hot Summer months for our 1568 square feet home. Try that if you are on ConEdison in New York and you would have to mortgage the home to pay the bill.

Chuck