At 11:03 AM 9/11/2005, Brian Weeden typed:
But you might also want to take a look at this article
which uses WinPE to do an  XP install on a USB thumbdrive:
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050909/index.html

Sorry but it's not WinPE but rather Bart's PEBuilder aka BartPE. Bart goes thru great pains to distinguish his product from WinPE on his website <http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/>. Even Tom seems to indicate that this procedure is problematic & take from moi' it is. I've tried for the past year & have yet to get a successful USB thumbdrive to even boot not to mention booting BartPE or even my own incarnation aka XpPe.

  a Windows Xp based
Diagnostic & Recovery CD
<http://www.xppe.com/>