Socket 775 is dead, in the longterm that is.  In that saying, it is a very
short life socket.  Right now, it is your only choice.  By early next year,
it is expected to be replaced, making it one of the shorter lived sockets
that I can remember.

In regards to power supplies, if you use "good" PS, you're generally fine.
But in practice, most people (those who just buy parts from you, not have a
build done) tend to use a PS that comes with a case.  A CPU that uses 200W
alone means that high voltage video cards, etc. really weigh you down.

Put this into perspective:

I'm a high end buyer.  I want to buy between these two options:

Intel 3.7G EE + a 7800GTX
AMD64 4600 Dual Core + 7800GTX

So, in power consumption, I'm talking:

218W (CPU) + 244W (7800GTX under load, 3DMark05)

Or

135W (CPU) + 244W

It may not sound like much, but it is still almost 80W that you're giving up
to a CPU.. for a high end rig, before I add in requirements for things like
HDD, USB controlled devices, CDROMS/DVDROMs, etc. I'm already pushing a 450W
True Power supply on an Intel rig; whereas the other route, I've got some
room.. so a power Intel rig right now you're looking at a 550W-650W
Powersupply as a rule, as a basic requirement.. which both increases initial
costs and continual operating costs.

Let's take your 450W Power supply for an example.

If you're using a PCI-Express Motherboard, and you're running a processor
from Intel faster then 3.4G, then you're 450W is being used at almost
90-100% continuously.. with a single hard drive and a single CDROM drive...
so power supply -is- an issue, even in your configurations (not true with
the much lower consumption Celerons)

Now, I see from what you're telling me you're buying AGP based Pentium IV
775 (so 865PE modified type boards).  That's fine, lots of people use those
(though Intel specifically says it is not a supported design).  So, you
lower your power consumption by going with an AGP card, and even high end
AGP cards like the 6800Ultra don't use the kind of power that a X850, 7800,
etc. use.

Still, though, you are dealing with heat and power consumption issues that
in the past with Intel you haven't really dealt with... Intel is running
into a big bear with their latest series CPUs, in that heat, something they
had not traditionally had a big problem with, is an issue.

When Intel originally announced Socket-T (775) they had promised these
speeds:

3.8Ghz, 4.0Ghz, 4.2Ghz, 4.4, 4.6, 4.8, 5.0, 5.06, 5.33Ghz.

Now, all of those designs are dead.  Dead.   It's because they weren't
feasible.. heat and power consumption issues made it to the point where
Intel has been unable to get any yields on a 4.0Ghz CPU.

So, what happened?  They killed all their research on it and went the route
AMD was going with Dual cores.  Except since Intel doesn't have a memory
controller built into the die, you're using a single memory controller to
feed two CPUs, doubling the external bottleneck; more then that, because
Intel's system has some hitches with how this works.. so multi-core CPUs
work effectively only with the Intel 955 or Intel 945 chipset.  So, people
who latched onto a 775 board when Intel released the 915/925 chipsets are
just screwed.

So, the 915 had a lifecycle of about 6 months.  And now, based on vender
concerns (yes, that's also people like Dell) the 945/955 and current socket
won't last that long either, as Intel is being forced to go back and change
all over to move their laptop line, upgrade it, change it, and make it into
a desktop CPU to replace the ailing Pentium IV line.

They simply bet on the wrong pony.  That's OK, it happens.  But let's recap:

Intel promised a 4.0Ghz chip by December 25, 2004..
They canceled that chip before hand.
They thought they'd get out a 4.4Ghz chip by March based on the 65nm
process.. but it's nowhere, and has since been canceled.

Intel's "hot dog" at the moment is a 3.2Ghz Smithfield D 840 CPU.

The other problem is, while some applications, which can use HT do take
advantage of it and propel great scores from the D 840, the great majority
do not.  And the memory controller for the 840 is still the board, which
means memory performance is terrible in comparison to it's peers.. where, in
open ended benchmarks this $1,000 chip gets clobbered by Intel's own chips
that are faster (per Mhz) because of the transactions between
CPU/Northbridge, and by any AMD64 processor faster then a 3500+.

Example:

http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/p4_840/8.shtml

As far as multitasking?

This paragraph kind of sums up what everyone sees:

---------------------
The graph shows three different values for each CPU: at the top is the total
runtime for the combined workload, the second bar is the runtime of
trueSpace with Abbyy running in the background and the bottom bar shows the
isolated runtime for trueSpace at 4xAA. Given the task manager screenshot
shown above, it is not surprising that trueSpace does not give up much in
runtime even with another demanding application competing. Overall, the
Athlon64 X2-4800 ties with the P4 840 EE, the 840D takes last place whereas
the dual Opteron 252 sail to a comfortable win, despite the relatively poor
performance in FineReader.
---------------------

And this is in the traditional Intel dominated ground of 3D development
apps, not gaming where Intel really gets hammered (I won't go into that, but
you can hunt for the benchmarks)

Heck, if you look at power consumption:

http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/p4_840/18.shtml

You see that they are talking about an Overclocked AMD running at 2.7Ghz
(which would be about a 4800+ single core) consuming 40W, vs. a stock Intel
3.2 DC eating up... 141W?  And this is not in high function.. at 68C?

In the end, this is what I tell people:

Intel has one of the best chips on the market, period.. without a doubt, a
true technical marvel.. with the Intel Mobile line.

But right now, I can't even hardly justify to anyone their "high end" CPU
line.  This may not be something you run into, and their Celeron line is
very viable.

Because right now, the best chipset solution going in either platform, AMD
or Intel is the Nvidia Nforce chipset.  And that chipset has the stamp of
approval of both AMD/Intel who have showcased it at their own processor
forums.  It's solid, driver support is very solid, and compatibility with
current shipping video cards is excellent.

So, now you've got one solid chipset, Intel or AMD that you can really pick
from.  At that point, it makes it very hard for me to "push" anyone to
Intel.  We do build a bunch of intel boxes.. lots of people love them.  If
you were to hand me a stack of money, though, and tell me to spend it as I
see fit to build a "good" box, it would be a rarity that I could, from a
performance, budget, or standpoint of supporting under our 3 year warranty
come up with an Intel box.

CW