----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Sevart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Hardware List" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:42 PM
Subject: Re: [H] AMD CPU question

Well, they couldn't clock as high, were finicky on memory, and many board manufacturers had to go through several BIOS revisions before they were properly supported...

This is another reason I build and sell computers with Intel CPU's. Intel has never been as complicated as AMD to me. I have only a G.E.D. and my A+. I would have to go to college to learn to build computers with AMD CPU's.

I realize that what I just said is only one person's opinion and some of you may say Intel is complicated. Intel may be complicated to you, but for 8 years Intel has been smooth sailing for me.

We all know memory sticks have to be matched, especially the speed. I go even further. I inform my customers to go for the gold (have their new computer built with 2 or 4 sticks of 512 MB) initially so their RAM sticks will be better matched. Adding a stick from a batch that was manufactured a year or more later (and perhaps by a different manufacturer) can never be as well matched as RAM from the same lot as was originally installed. I avoid 1024 MB sticks because they are still cost prohibitive. My Asus motherboards support up to 4 GB in 4 1024 sticks, but if you start out with a full house (all 4 slots filled) of four 512 MB sticks there is only slight chance you would ever feel the need to upgrade your memory. If the customer feels they may want to go to 3 or 4 GB of RAM one day, they should bite the bullet and pay the premium price for 1024 MB sticks when they have their computer built.

Chuck