> Neil, you made me crack open my Bible for the first time in ages.

Well, I've achieved something today!  ;-)

This is such a difficult medium for this kind of discussion, but I'll try and
be brief:

We are dealing with matters of truth here. Either something is true or it is
not. There is discoverable truth about Jesus, because he was a real historical
figure, and therefore we can employ the same approach to examining him and his
claims as we do any historical figure.
If we do that, our primary texts are those of the New Testament - a very
thoroughly analysed and researched set of documents, respected as an accurate
historical source by the vast majority of historians of any scholarly repute
(Christian or not).

One thing is very, very clear: Jesus claimed to be the incarnate Son of God,
and any other conclusion as to his nature and role was unacceptable to him.
So, if you want a discussion about that, we have to start there and use the
best source material available: the Bible.

Any other approach is just opinion and therefore of limited value in the real
world.

Also happy to continue this off list is that is preferable.

Respectfully.

Neil Atwood - Sydney, Australia

http://westserve.org - Blog, Christianity, Coffee and Tech Stuff.