the ones I have with a tight fitting AL case get quite hot when left running...

Harry McGregor wrote:
I disagree with this...

I tend to like the no-fan external HD setups, as long as they are a direct contact aluminum case. I have over a half dozen deployed without issues, including one attached to a co-loed server to data backups (remote backups to the drive from outside the co-lo). 64F in the room, and the hard disk is running just fine.

I have used these ones mostly (and the FW version) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817146306

I look at it this way, it might not be quite as good at cooling as one with a working fan, but it's far better than one with a dead fan. Most of the ones with fans use tiny 40mm fans that die quickly around here (very dry in Tucson Az). I would rather deal with a slight cooling issue the entire life of the drive instead of a major cooling issue after 6 months or so.

                              Harry

Anthony Q. Martin wrote:

Yeah, if you intend to leave them on 24/7. If you only have it on during use, no fan can work.

j maccraw wrote:

No fan is bad idea in the long run.

W. D. wrote:
I've got 2 of these: