----- Original Message ----- From: "Wayne Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Hardware List" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2006 11:18 PM
Subject: Re: [H] Network copy Vs USB copy & Sharing My Documents

It can be done but you must be running Pro on all machines & turn off Simple File Sharing. Some people cheat by having the same admin user name & pwd on all the machines & the respective shares but really each machine should have it's own unique admin user name & pwd & those users should be listed on the other machines users snap in.

Most computers I repair are running XP Home OEM and the user most often has no clue as to what the Administrator account is. My goal and objective is to recover all data in the Favorites folder and the My Documents folder. Many have the user account password protected. Many can not boot Windows due to a crashed hard drive, messed up Windows or bad motherboard.

I did get a customer's Windows XP to boot up on my shop computer by hooking their hard drive to my computer and booting into Safe Mode. I got rid of their password, but still I could not access their data on the next boot into Safe Mode.

What is the most simple way to access their data with their hard drive hooked to my shop computer as a slave drive? Remember, I most often do not get to work on their computer until after their data has become protected and after it will no longer boot into Windows. I do not have any opportunity to prepare in advance for non accessbile data.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck