I have seven instances of SVCHost on my laptop.

Total of about 16 seconds of CPU time in the last half hour. And total peak
memory usage is about 53MB

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Thane Sherrington
Sent: 09 May 2007 14:14
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: [H] SVCHost survey

I'm getting a lot of machines in where SVCHost has gone insane and is
sucking up a lot of RAM and CPU time.  There are some suggested fixes
for it (mostly reinstalling/registering Microsoft Updates) but I'm
interested in finding out what the "normal" CPU time and Peak Mem
Usage are for svchost.exe.  If people would take the time to reply
with the information listed below for as many machines as they can,
that would be great.

To get the information, bring up Task Manager, click on View and
Choose Select Columns.  Check off CPU time and Peak Mem Usage.  Then
sort by CPU time.  I'd like to get the information for System Idle
Process (CPU Time) and the svchost with the highest CPU time (both
CPU time, Mem Usage and Peak Mem Usage.)  On my laptop, which doesn't
appear to be affected, it looks like this:

System Idle Process - CPU time: 34:01:05
svchost.exe - CPU Time: 00:05:36, Mem Usage (6320K) Peak Mem Usage (7584K)

I'll will share all findings with the list.