At 10:37 AM 09/05/2007, Hayes Elkins wrote:
svchost is just a process that other services, including third party drivers, utilize, it is in itself typically not the culprit when things go crazy. HP printer driver software for instance, which is PURE GARBAGE, will certainly cause svchost to exhibit that behavior. I've seen it myself with their HP update component.

I would try looking at sysinternals' (now owned by MS) Process Explorer to see what really is driving those out of place svchost threads.

On everyone of the machines I'm dealing with, it's Microsoft Update. I know the cause - I just want a baseline so I can see when a machine is fixed and when it isn't.