svchost is just a process that other services, including third party drivers, utilize, it is in itself typically not the culprit when things go crazy. HP printer driver software for instance, which is PURE GARBAGE, will certainly cause svchost to exhibit that behavior. I've seen it myself with their HP update component.

I would try looking at sysinternals' (now owned by MS) Process Explorer to see what really is driving those out of place svchost threads.

From: Thane Sherrington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: [H] SVCHost survey
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 10:13:36 -0300

I'm getting a lot of machines in where SVCHost has gone insane and is sucking up a lot of RAM and CPU time. There are some suggested fixes for it (mostly reinstalling/registering Microsoft Updates) but I'm interested in finding out what the "normal" CPU time and Peak Mem Usage are for svchost.exe. If people would take the time to reply with the information listed below for as many machines as they can, that would be great.

To get the information, bring up Task Manager, click on View and Choose Select Columns. Check off CPU time and Peak Mem Usage. Then sort by CPU time. I'd like to get the information for System Idle Process (CPU Time) and the svchost with the highest CPU time (both CPU time, Mem Usage and Peak Mem Usage.) On my laptop, which doesn't appear to be affected, it looks like this:

System Idle Process - CPU time: 34:01:05
svchost.exe - CPU Time: 00:05:36, Mem Usage (6320K) Peak Mem Usage (7584K)

I'll will share all findings with the list.

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507