Many of us have over the years Chuck, if a customer
understood that they
wouldn't need you to build it for them. PRICE &
PERCEIVED "size & speed"
of different vendors complete systems (and software
for some dumb
reason) drive customer choices and decisions over who
to buy from not
what brand/quality level parts they are. Line item
quotes make their
eyes glaze over 99% of the time because they don't
know one part from
another, much less what brand of part from another.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thane
Sherrington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

to agree with real
>> world testing.  I have seen EB and BB drives fail
by a factor of at
>> least a factor of 5 over JB drives.  The EB/BB line
are WD's one year
>> warranty drives (with 2MB cache) while the JBs are
the 3 year warranty
>> drives (with 8MB cache.)  So there is clearly a
difference in quality,
>> as my experience is based over several years with
hundreds of drives.

> I am not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but
anyone who believes
> that WD EB's and BB's last as long as JB's are
probably telling people
> that Dell uses quality parts, also. Once you nail
down Dell in your mind
> to what they really are, the rest fall into their
respective places,
> inferior to Dell. To qualify my statement about
Dell, true, you can get
> premium parts if you order a unit that costs 1.5 or
more times what a
> custom build with the same parts cost. Line for line
Dell could not come
> close. But who besides me will even give a line item
quote, custom
> builders included? And to boot I let customers bring
their own parts and
> omit some of those lines if they want.
>
> Chuck

 a little couch potato?