That thermal hood method is a recommended solution
last time I checked
and the fan in my GX260 moves more air than standard
cpu fan + case fan
setup IMO. 5400 RPM drives run cooler (and slower),
hence why they are
used in set top cable TV DVR boxes by SA & the like.

Granted this does nothing for the rest of the case but
mines been
running 24/7 since 2004 and the only loss was the
crappy maxtor (now
Seagate low-end line) in the 1st 6 months I had it
running. This in a
non-AC'd 3rd floor New Jersey apt. which my other
machine's, a multi-fan
cooled AMD rig,  ATI Radeon 9800 video card* did not
survive.

* (that I still have not gotten satisfaction of
getting even the dead
board back a year after returning it to Chris Reeves
for replacement,
when are you getting back to me CR???)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Sevart"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
> Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2007 2:41 PM
> Subject: RE: [H] Seagate drive died
>

>> Thane, you also mentioned that most of the failures
you see are in
>> big-vendor boxes...is it possible that those
machines outfitted with
>> WD's JB
>> series drives are also mounted better, or
ventilated better, or are
>> fitted
>> with a better PSU? I don't know one way or another,
just suggesting the
>> possibility that there could be additional
variables at play here.

> Naturally most all components function better in a
large, well
> ventilated case with an adequate power supply. Who
but Dell is famous
> for omitting the CPU fan in many models. They rely
on shrouding the
> airflow through a rear exhaust vent fan. That, along
with the power
> supply fan makes a whopping total of 2 fans in those
Dells. Mine have 2
> power supply fans, 2 case fans and the CPU
manufacturer's CPU fan,
> making a total of 5 fans.
>
> True, name brand manufacturers used the cheaper 5400
RPM hard drives for
> years. I do not care what component we are talking
about, if you find a
> way to build it cheaper and most of them last a
year, Dell will be
> knocking on your door to buy it.

 a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to
get online.