Is there anything unique to Dell BIOS or Windows ME that could prevent me from increasing a PC's RAM from 1x 128MB DIMM to 2x128MB DIMMS?

I ask because each time I try to install any of 3 pair of PC133 SDRAM DIMMs I have, the PC will power on, POST flashes briefly, PC goes BEEP, and the PC powers right back off again. Very ODD? Kind of like, "No, not allowed to do that!!" I have never seen this before; ever! I have looked, but do not see any jumpers on the M/B specifc to RAM size. (I may still yank the M/B for a thorough search).

The PC is a Dell Dimension 4100 (circa 1999/2000). CPU is Intel P3-1000. RAM is 1DIMM of 128MB PC133 SDRAM. (Dell specs say max RAM is 512MB, or 2x 256MB DIMMS). OS is Windows ME. The M/B looks Dell design - specs from Dell say it is Intel 815E chipset (my 1st meeting!!).

I know that my DIMMS work because I can put them in an old BX6r2 (P2-450) and each DIMM pair report 256MB total w/o error.

Yes, I have thought about the POS 135W psu in the PC. I may try another spare psu I have, but the PC works fine with it's single 128MB DIMM otherwise!

Yes, the 2d DIMM socket could be dorked too! I've looked at it under magnification and can see no bent/damaged pins.

I am perfectly happy to give it back with only 128MB and W2KPro if unsolvable. (the 256MB would have been a gift!)

Ideas?  Suggestions?
Thanks,
Duncan

This email scanned for Viruses and Spam by ZCloud.net