Jim,
Oddly, I tried my Crucial DIMM pair first.  Failed hard as I described.  I use
the Crucial pair 1st on these "fixes" because they usually work. Not this time.
May be OK, but I have a 4100 that fails on 3 pair of PC133 SDRAM DIMMS.
I'll read the link in a bit. Perhaps there is a pearl (of wisdom). This 4100 has
WinME on it now.  Working to move a "compaq hd w/Win2KPro" to it.
Maybe dumb. I know. But, if all else fails, I'll just do it and start from scratch.
This RAM business is teaching me stuff I either never knew, or, forgot! LOL!
Thanks. Best,
Duncan