Hello Greg,

> The 226BW seems to be a decent display...the fast response time will be good
> for gaming. However, this model is a 6-bit TN+ panel. TN+ panels do not have
> the best color reproduction (S-IPS does) or black levels, and most of them
> are 6-bit displays, including this one. That means that it is only truly
> capable of displaying 262,144 colors, and must use dithering technology to
> emulate the advertised higher color range. The 226BW does appear to be
> better at doing this than some other models, but you should still be aware
> of this potential issue. Additionally, it would appear that your specific
> unit could use one of two different panels: a Samsung or an AU Optronics.
> Both are TN film type panels, but reports suggest that the AUO panel
> provides inferior picture quality.

> Unfortunately, quality S-PVA, P-MVA, or S-IPS displays that provide a low
> response time (and are therefore good for gaming) are generally expensive. I
> would suggest buying a display locally, if possible, so you can exercise the
> return policy if it doesn't suit you. My brother, an avid gamer, has a 20.1"
> 4:3 ViewSonic VP2030B that he loves. It sports a P-MVA panel and an 8ms
> response time. It, however, will probably run you another $100.

Yeah I read there was a way to setup the color profile in the new egg
reviews, basically it read google "setup color profile model #" or
something and it corrected the color issues... Not sure if that
addresses the issues... does it? I checked out that viewsonic its 420
and I dont mind playing more to get the best or better - however it's
not a wide screen. If I am gonna dump my (i still love it) 21inch .22 crt
- I want a wide screen. I'll search newegg for "p-mva" next... Local
not an option I live in the sticks.

>>  MSI NX8800GTX-T2D768E-HD OC GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI
>> Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
>>  http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814127281
>>
>> How about this video card @ $500?
>>
>>  Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual
>> Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
>>  http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820134488
>>
>> Was this the Kingston RAM that was the best?

> It's decent--it's just JEDEC-standard CL5 PC2-6400 memory. It's about as
> vanilla as it gets, but should work fine. If you fancy something more
> exotic, you might try to find some CL4 memory, or even go with something
> like PC2-8500. The P35 will read the EPP profiles and set the
> clocks/voltages to the correct JEDEC-exceeding values for this speedier
> memory. If you do go for higher-speed memory, don't buy anything that
> requires over 2.2v to reach the advertised speeds--and generally try to find
> the lowest voltage set you can for given speed/timing criteria.

I guess with no comments on video - I am good to go. I read a lot about
it - best bang for the buck it seems.

I went with:
 Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual
Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
 http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820134218

 And thanks for pointing that out.

>>  GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
>>  http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813128048
>>
>> This was the board I picked out - is there something better?

> The DS3R is interesting in that it sports 4 DDR2 and 2 DDR3 slots. Frankly,
> however, I've never liked Frankenboards. :)
> I went with the -DS3P, primarily due to the second x16 phy/x4 ele PCIe
> adapter for my Areca RAID controller and the extra 2 SATA ports.

I swapped the R out for the P - I also don't care for those boards and
I have NO idea how I selected that - but it wasn't intentional.

>> I took a 650w Seasonic PSU, WD Raptor drives, Zalman 92mm cooler, and
>> a Samsung DVD burner also...
>>

> Thumbs up on all that.

Good deal...

Thanks a lot - this help is VERY appreciated.

--
Regards,
 joeuser - Still looking for the 'any' key...