I have an older WD drive that has that whining sound and I absolutely agree
that it is noisy and irritating. I put that in an external case and only use
it for backups... but even the 10-15 minutes that it is usually on, it
grates at me. I have several of the newer 400GB and 500GB WD drives and
trust me when I say I can barely hear them. Replace the drives and move
onto the fan noise that will annoy you afterwards. :)