No, right now I just have the fan there with it unplugged. I suppose that hole isn't optimal for cooling, right? I didn't want to try to remove it because it is such a bear to get too. This case is tight inside.

I did replace the NB fan with a 40mm fan I stole of an old nVidia card I have lying around.

If I could just make these HDs quieter, I'd be happy. I have several other HDs that I could swap in, but I don't know if I can expect them to make less noise or not. The two 500 GB Samsung HDs I put in my new system are below the threshold of my hearing, from 1 meter, anyway. I really do think this constant whine is making me pissed off.

Wayne Johnson wrote:
At 10:56 09-30-2007, Anthony Q. Martin typed:
Case is a CM ATSC, which only allows for 80mm fans, two in front, one at back, and one at top of case (which, as i found, has died long ago).

Did you replace that top case fan or at least seal the case at the top. Just some clear packaging tape works wonders. Many cases have vent holes on the sides where they think the cpu will be. When I find a new client with one of these cases & it does NOT line up with the HSF then I tape the side vent holes & make sure there is an exhaust fan on the back of the case near the cpu.

I'm a geek that loves to tweak.