Thanks, Richard.  That's exactly what I did for that home machine.  Just going
to a slightly younger drive killed that high-pitched whine.  I have a new CPU
cooller (Nexus) and new case fans to put in this weekend.

I made huge progress on my office PC. Took out the loud PS, replaced the CPU
cooler, got a fan-less PCI-e video card that supports directx 10!  I don't need
fast for that, just need to drive two screens.  This system is in an Antec P160
that I bought from a system house. Did even realize how nice a case it is on
the inside until I decided to deal with the noise.  It could use some sound
proofing, but I don't need all that at work....This box is much, much better
than it was...which was freight-train loud.

I probably will upgrade the HDs in the work machine, though, as they are real
noisy 250 GB WD HDs.