I'm sorry, I just have to completely disagree. You want two DCs, or don't do
a domain at all. It WILL fail, and you don't want to be without a live DC.

Also, that yearly backup won't do any good. Computers have an account in AD
just like any other object, and they will change their machine account
passwords randomly every few days. So, unless you have a group policy set up
to prevent machines doing so, your image would be good for perhaps a week.
If you needed to bring the image online due to a DC failure, none of your
computer accounts in the old AD copy would be valid anymore--so you'd be
doing a disjoin/rejoin for each one.

Greg