Harvey,
Don't think using a PC would have helped. Think what may have happened was that somehow the laptop (PC) got coded as the printer's "print server." So that any print jobs had to be routed thru the laptop(PC) for processing prior to actually being printed (perhaps during a driver load during the initial install). This happened to me several times with my Brother CAT5e LAN printer.

Many de-install/install sessions later I finally got the printer to sit by itself on the LAN without one of my PC's 'strapped' to it as a print server. I am getting very printer-shy now. They can be real animals to deal with on a LAN.

My LAN is not WIFY, so all this may not even apply. WIFY I know next to zero about. Eek, machines on steroids with radio transmitters....... :) Just standard TCP/IP and ethernet on cable is about all I can handle; and often badly at that! LOL!
Best,
Duncan

At 17:11 10/30/2007 -0400, HBest wrote:
I don't think the printer came with one. But I had the cables so it was not a problem. I wonder now in hindsight, if I used one of the desktop units as the install vehicle I might not have had that problem.