Most of the modems provided by the two telcos in my area, ATT and Verizon, seem
to come in one of two designs. A single ethernet and/or usb port DSL modem
intended for use with one PC or a router. The other a combination of a dsl
modem, router, switch, and wireless ap.

An http interface is used to change the settings of modem and maybe look at the
stats of the dsl signal.

If you have your own router I've found it to be better to disable PPPoE on the
modem and switch it to a bridged mode. It's much easier to start and tear down
the pppoe sessions from your router instead of the modem. If you use the
dynamic dns service in the router it will be better at issuing updates as well.

-Tharin O.

DHSinclair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Brian,
Yes, I got this. If I had an 'access port/point' I too would have demoted my
router to 'bridged.'  I only have one router.  I call it my 'gateway.'
Yes, am using PPPoE. So far, today, it all works.