Most folks do not have any reason that they would need to know their internet
address at any given time of the day. But when you need access to resources on
your home pc or home network from somewhere other than home like work,  a
friends house, some random hotspot, whatever. You need to know the address of
your internet connection at home in order to access your remote desktop, ftp
server, security camera system, etc.

For years I've been using a free account registered with a dynamic dns service
at DynDNS.com  Through them I can create a subdomain on one of the many domains
they have available and they will point that subdomain to the IP address that
they've been given. After the DynDNS server is informed of a new ip address it
only takes a couple of minutes to take effect.

I have ADSL service through AT&T that is a dynamic IP plan. Every time I
reconnect my PPPoE connection, my WAN address changes. Well, this stinks for me
because I like to remotely connect to my desktop and run other services on my
network that I could only access from somewhere else if I know the WAN address.
By using DynDNS.com and the dyndns feature on my D-link router, the router will
automatically inform the DynDNS.com server what my IP address is. Now I can be
assured that whenever I connect to 'tjolsen.dyndns.com' it will be pointing to
the current IP address assigned to my WAN connection at home. It is like having
a static IP address without the added cost of a static ip plan from AT&T.

DHSinclair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 When I mentioned dynamic dns before, what I was referring to is a feature
where the router automatically notifies a server what the ip address you are
currently assigned is. This server provides a vanity address that can be used
to access your lan from the net. Essentially you get a static 'named' address
that will always point to your dynamically changing ip address. Check out
http://www.technopagan.org/dynamic/
 Thanks for the link. More reading.  I read the words you sent. They really
went over my head. OK.  We could be stuck on 'server.'  Yes, I think I own one.
At this time, I may not really, truly, have a 'server' on my LAN.  It (my
server) may just really be another PC (with special potential if/when I turn it
on!). I agree that my "LAN" might really suck.  I am seeing this now. I am now
thinking of re-trying the class C IP series....just to get directly against the
modem!...and.....just because I screwed it up so bad 2 weeks ago. More
read.............no harm, no foul.
 Thank you. (too bad you are not next door!)  I do have patience.
 Best,
 Duncan

 -Tharin O.