Sounds like a ground loop.  Basically, the ground the computer is on
is floating and not really grounded and allowing stray current.

First thing I would do is check the outlet.  You can buy an outlet
tester for cheap at Home Depot or any such store and it will tell you
right away if your outlet is wired properly.  Might want to check all
the outlets just to make sure they were wired correctly.

The problem could be with the house ground.  I would head back to your
main breaker box and take a look.  All of the wires coming in should
have their copper grounds terminated at one of the ground plates along
the sides of the box.  Those ground plates should then be tied to a
ground.  In my case, the water pipes coming into the house.  Sometimes
they are attached to a metal stake that is driven into the ground.

Check the cable on the computer and make sure the ground wire isn't
loose or frayed at either plug.  Check the power strip same way.

I guess it could always be a bad power supply, maybe swap that out and
see if it goes away.

--
Brian Weeden