T,

As I said Comcast didn't lie this time, I am getting the advertised speeds when directly connected to the modem. The wireless works fine when connected through the wired router, but will not setup if connected directly to the modem with the wired one removed. The wired router works by itself but is extremely slow, as I stated in the original message.

Jeff

Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 8:33 AM
Subject: Re: [H] Possible router faliure

At 10:03 PM 13/01/2008, Jeff Lane wrote:

My up and download speeds have slowed to near dial-up proportions, consistently. For example, I start a download of something, from anywhere, and get an immediate burst of speed, 4,5, or 6MB, and it immediately begins to slow to 1-300K, some times less!

I have checked my speeds with Broadband, DSL, and SpeedTest. All give the same results in the 2-300K area downloading. I have called Comcast regarding this and all they came up with was to disconnect everything and connect directly to the modem. They claimed that their equipment indicated that I was getting 4-5+MB consistently and uploads in the 350K vicinity. I did connect directly to the modem and, for once, Comcast was telling the truth.

This all started sometime after I had installed the wireless router. We had a defective Netgear which it replaced. I have removed the wireless completely and it is still slow.

So right now, if you connect a computer directly to the modem, you get normal speeds, but if you connect any computer through the router wireless router, then speeds are slow? What happens if you remove the wireless router and connect directly to the wired modem (no wireless router attached?)