Router issues are a little more subtle in that
everything may look peachy &
route until you put a few chained together dropping
packets along the way. This
of course doesn't completely break the path but rather
impairs it by some % from
negligible/un-perceivable to "WTF is up???"

If you want to test the switch in a router, you simply
attach to machines to it
& run a transfer benchmark. Assuming that passes you
swap one machine to the WAN
port w/ the firewall disabled on a separate subnet
(static IP) & repeat the
benchmark. This would be testing the ROUTING
throughput whereas the former
test's the switch hardware.

When my BEFSR acted up I swore at Comcast for days
until the thing finally died
enough to totally block connectivity rather than slow
it. RMA'd it,  sold the
replacement and got a Netgear RP314 which I used until
the WRT's matured enough
& 3rd party firmwares came out. ;)

DHSinclair wrote:
> Jeff,
> You have a much more complex LAN than I. Not sure I
can help much. I am
> troubleshooting an old router, too BTW..... :)
> Anyway, I would start by making certain that both
your PC and laptop nic
> cards are working properly. Like are they both set
for 100mbps full duplex?

> Can they talk to each other using a cross-over cat5e
cable (w/o a hub or
> switch)?
>
> Then, pick a switch/router and see if they still
talk. If so, slowly
> keep building until a problem is found. That should
be where your
> problem is.
>
> If the setup has been static (installed) for some
time, perhaps one or
> more cable connections has gotten dirty,
intermittent, flakey, bad.

> Perhaps your cable modem, router, access point may
need a f/w upgrade.
> Just a thought, cuz I'm doing this now with my old
router...... :)

> Sorry, can not speak to the wireless side. I do not
do any wireless.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs