IT isn't Corporation X's internet "cop", they are the IT "handymen" who make
sure their fleet of desktops, servers, and network gear are working properly.

For any large corporation, the only sane policy to make sure there are no leaky
pipes on the network is to have completely controlled, locked down user desktop
environment where the user has no admin rights or access to any program or
device unless expressly permitted. Nobody is trying to play god here, we just
want nobody fucking up the network, nothing personal. It's not a matter of
trust either, in my experience, most damage to an open network by a user is
unintentional.

Does anybody accuse management of a "god complex" when they block 900 numbers
and international calls from the company phone system? Same principle. The IT
department is nothing but a money pit in the eyes of management, we make no
money for any company (only save expenses at best), so you prove your worth by
having the most streamlined, efficient shop set up. Having a wild wild west
network is just asking for trouble.

> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 18:40:59 -0500
> To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [H] Save XP!
>
> Thanks Ben,
> That is really what I was trying to not so gracefully get to.
> I agree with this totally. IT gets to be "internet" COP. That is what the
> folks are paid for. Whether we like this or not is a separate discussion.
> Best,
> Duncan

Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference.